Wednesday, June 2, 2010

People

Once you become a part of the work force, for any profession, people have the power to alter your experience. I was so excited to start teaching at the school that I was a college tutor at for three years prior. I had always known the school to be very on edge (to say the least), but I had a connection to the community and had just finished my student teaching at the site. So, this is just where I wanted to be. Thus, for all I knew all school sites were like this.

This first experience was very tense for me. Based on my history at this school, I felt that proving myself as a professional (more over a teacher) was something I had to do all day, everyday. And I was right! Of course for any job, especially a first job, this is a very natural feeling. The difference that people can make at this point is how your dedication is seen. Isn't it nice to have a little praise or structured criticism? Anything to show that you are being acknowledged.

I felt that as a rookie I needed a little bit of feedback. Any kind of feedback! Instead the administrators voiced no opinion and I later came to the conclusion that they didn't spend much time outside of their offices. I think this had a lot to do with the tone of the school and the staff's lack of enthusiasim. This realization only came after I had the opportunity to experience another school site, again as a long-term sub.

1. http://www.teachingheart.net/newteacher.html
2. http://theapple.monster.com/careers/articles/9565-the-challenges-of-being-a-first-year-teacher
3. http://www.readingrockets.org/firstyear/diaryentry.php?ID=8

No comments:

Post a Comment