Thursday, June 3, 2010

New Places

After 3 months of long-term subbing I was on to a new endeavor. At first, I figured I would look for a part time job and substitute when something came up. Overall, I was not excited about my new position as a daily substitute. As a newly credentialed teacher, I wanted to have more of an impact than “babysitting” for a day. I know that substituting is a sure way to get myself known in the district and hopefully when positions come around my name will come up, so I kept hope alive.

To my surprise, during the last week as a long-term sub I received a phone call from the principle where I had done a quarter of student teaching. She had heard that I was subbing in the district and had a long-term position starting in the next week. Of course, I jumped at the opportunity. I have first handedly felt the impact of developing relationships in the profession.

At the start o the new assignment I was able to present myself in a different light. I was no longer the “college tutor” I was considered the teacher. The mood of the school was different as well. The administrators were more relaxed and involved, always on the playground and walking into the classroom on a daily bases without any reason but to see how everything was going or to give feedback on the class’s performance. I think that this difference not only left the students more comfortable with administrators, but the teachers were also more personable and secure with their work.

sites that helped

www.edjoin.com
http://blog.reallygoodstuff.com/?p=2951
http://chronicle.com/blogPost/So-now-youre-a-teacher/22687/

No comments:

Post a Comment